- Avoid outdoor activities at dusk and dawn, the peak feeding time for many mosquitoes, particularly from July through September.
- Use repellents containing DEET according to label directions – up to 30% DEET is safe and effective for adults and children over two months of age. Other effective repellents include picaridin, IR3535, and oil of lemon eucalyptus. Only use products that are registered by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Pre-treat clothing and gear with permethrin-based products.
- Wear loose-fitting, long sleeved shirts and pants.
- Keep mosquitoes out of your home by maintaining screens on windows and doors.